New Isles goalie Robin Lehner gets help after panic attack

New York Islanders goalie Robin Lehner says an in-game panic attack this past season while with the Buffalo Sabres helped lead him to sobriety. In a first-person account written for The Athletic, the veteran goaltender says he experienced a panic attack during a March 29 start against the Detroit Red Wings. "When zero finally hit (at the end of the second period), I walked back and sat in the trainer's room," Lehner said. "I could barely get my gear off. I broke down. I was having a major, full-blown panic attack. I thought I was suffering a heart attack. I had no idea what was happening. I could not go back on the ice." Lehner says after the intermission he was sent home, but on the way he stopped to buy beer and after a night of drinking he told his wife, "I have to go away." Lehner never played another game for the Sabres. Instead, he went to rehab where he says he was treated for addictions to alcohol and drugs...

from ABC News: Sports https://ift.tt/2Mvazrj

No comments

Theme images by sololos. Powered by Blogger.